Pages

Thursday, June 02, 2016

Documenting My Life | May

May was an interesting month, and I use the word interesting when I'm not sure how I feel about something. I felt like the month stretched for longer than 31 days. I have to say though that with May came a lot of memories to cherish.

I started the month in Italy, towards the end of the Genetic Counselling course in Bertinoro. My birthday was on the last day of the course and I was beyond speechless being surprised with a birthday cake from people I only met for 6 days. The course proved to me the importance of networking, how interesting people from different countries are and most importantly how people gather from all around the world for the same interest in a subject. Courses make the world seem even smaller and I hope I get the chance to go to more of them.

Turning 24 feels odd but it showed me that the older you get the more appreciative you are of friends. Keep them close, keep them happy and appreciate their efforts. I received a gift from my friend who's in Oman, lots of balloons and chocolate to celebrate my birthday. My other friends gave me enough books to last me a year and a unicorn to keep believing. If that's not enough to appreciate, they took me to watch a musical on my list, Matilda, and I'm now one step closer to watching all the musicals I want to watch before leaving London.

When you make a decision to leave your country to study, you have to realise that it means you'll miss some important events because of your commitments. You wont share the happy moments with those you care the most about. But don't be sad for you can always make it up for them in some way. I missed my youngest brother's undergraduate graduation and my favourite cousin's wedding. I'm sure I'll find a way to make it up for them.

This month was also another reminder that hard work doesn't always pay off. That you might spend hours, putting in all your energy but don't succeed. You know you've done all you could yet it wasn't enough. And as this continues to happen, I don't know yet how to get over it. But it too shall pass and one day you might understand why things went the way they are. I'm disappointed, angry and sad for not reaching a goal I have set for myself but that doesn't mean I'll stop and not continue. For I know that sometimes life is not fair but it still goes on.

Seeing my father in London after 5 months of not seeing him was exactly what I needed. His caring voice, his choice of words, his gentle touch and sincere smile. His motivational talks, his full trust and the twinkle in his eyes that are full of pride for where his children have reached. I wouldn't be here without his support and I'm forever grateful for all that he has done.

And as another month starts, I hope it brings with it a dose of motivation that I need to continue. That it brings with it more happy memories, more smiles and more to document.

No comments:

Post a Comment