Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

I Took Things For Granted

We take a lot of things for granted; morning coffee, health, family. Exactly a year ago, I was getting ready to leave to Leeds to attend my graduation. It was also the last time I heard my grandmother’s voice.  

Just another Ramadhan night but everyone was missing which isn’t usual. My mother, all my uncles and the heart of our family, my grandmother, were all missing. It felt weird, empty, something was definitely wrong just not sure what it was. My father told us my grandmother fell earlier and hit her head, my mother called and asked us to leave to Leeds without her. On our way to the airport, my mother called and asked me to speak to my grandmother, I took that call for granted. She apologised for my mother not joining us and congratulated me on graduating. I cired so much on my way to the airport for so many reasons. I took that call for granted, I thought I’ll be able to talk to her again, for her to be around when I come back and congratulate me once more. She was admitted to the ICU and went into a coma. We take a lot of things for granted.

My grandmother was a beautiful person inside and out. She was caring, empathetic and loving. She took care of us, treated us equally and never failed to make us smile. She used to make us popcorn at 12 am, orders all the food we love and stocks the storeroom with all types of candies, crisps and chocolates. She used to buy us toys, encourages us to play and sometimes even joins. She used to switch on the indoor fountain when we come over. She never sleeps before she’s sure we’re all comfortable. We were spoiled. We took everything for granted


Take the day to familiarise yourself with everything and everyone you got used to, you never know if they’ll be there tomorrow. Thank those around you, love more, care even more and criticise less. Appreciate all the little things that make you happy and be grateful. Call those you love, go out with them and spend as much time as you can with them. And if you have a grandmother alive, give her a hug from me because I really miss mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment