Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

From Leeds With Love

I have moved to Leeds on the 13th of September for university. I got so busy moving into my flat, completing university regestration, orientation week and just exploring the city. Leeds is a pretty interesting place to live in for people like me who enjoy staying in places that aren’t crowded yet not quiet. It’s a very international city so the place to me is safe and cosy. FILLED with Arabs is something I have to mention, too. I don’t know if it’s a good or a bad thing though.
If someone asked me to highlight the important things in Leeds then this is my list:
  • Cold: I’m not used to this weather. I thought autumn here would be like Oman’s winter, and oh boy it’s NOTHING like Oman’s weather. I came here with cardigans that really didn’t help at all.
  • Rainy: the usual rain. I still haven’t used an umbrella since I arrived though. I’m still not sick of the rain. The time will come, I’m sure of it.

  • Pigeons: those are part of the citizens of beloved Leeds. They would come join you inside the train station when you’re feeling all lonely. They’ll walk in front of you and attempt flying. And yeah, I guess they are fun to be there.
  • Owls!! I’m not sure why there are owls all over the place but yeah they are. Golden ones, plain cement ones, you name it we have them all here. I think I’ll go look for all of them when I’m free one day. I think we also have an owl museum :P
  • Rainbow flags: apparently the people in Leeds respect gay pride. There is a whole street filled with gay clubs and you find rainbow flags hanging from them. Might change my mind about rainbow flags but its cool to see colourful things hanging around :D
  • Food: as I mentioned Leeds is a very international city and with international cities comes… international food!! We have it all here from Indian to Lebanese to Japanese, Italian and many more. I have to mention that I’ve been eyeing the Jamie Oliver restaurant and might go eat at it someday ;)
  • SHOPPING!! Spent £511 in 3 hours. Enough said : )


Since I moved I’ve been trying to figure out where all the good places are and keep myself updated with things going on. Since I’m a twitter user I’ve been following a user called mylifeinleeds and has been very helpful with the reviews of different places.

Leeds has a lot of beautiful buildings. I can’t wait for my sister to come here and show her the amazing architecture here. I’m surprised I haven’t used my camera since the day I arrived in Leeds but soon I’ll find the time to go out and snap some pictures. During my stay here in Leeds for the past two weeks I realized how I’m a big fan of media in all forms. This place inspires me but only if I had the right tools and guidance.

I have started my first day of university today and I must say it was a bit tiring having to walk from the university campus to Leeds City College for a lesson there. I ended my day with dinner at Nandos with my friend and surprisingly it tasted good :D


From Leeds With Love
Maria xx

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to uni life Maria ;)

    Hope you enjoy it there..!! And boy do I hate the weather over there. It sucks. Nevertheless, you have fun to the maximum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It almost feels like yesterday you were in school. Now you're in LEEDS! Well, have fun there and make the most of it.

    What are you studying, if you don't mind me asking.

    And don't forget to post some pictures..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanko Rummy :D The weather sucks but change is good sometimes :D

    Kitten, so true! Time passed by so fast I still can't believe I'm in university now taking classes and all. I'm planing to buy an SLR camera or something like that and go out on photoshoot. I'll sure post pics if I did.

    I'm studying Genetics :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must write another post about Leeds! Tell me all about it. I have applied there for my postgraduate studies and would love to know more before I move there :)

    ReplyDelete