Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Documenting My Life | July

It feels like I was conscious of July only in London's underground. I was in the company of books, stuck in my deepest and shallowest thoughts. Other than underground, July has been a blur. Yet July moved in slow motion, unlike the quick trains that don't have to be stuck in London's traffic. It gave me time to think about very random things, over and over and over again, from different angles.

*At this point I go back to my journal to know what else I have been doing this month*

This has been the first Eid in a while for me to spend it away from my family. It felt weird yet I was mentally prepared for it. I took lots of chocolates with me to the lab. Had different people come up to me with Eid greetings. I also received a big Cadbury bar as a Eid gift. I'm surrounded by great people in the lab and I'm grateful for that.

I love it when I unintentionally discover cafes in a quiet corner of a busy street. Prestat had good coffee and probably the best carrot cake I have ever tried in my life. I spent my time there reading and writing and it actually felt good.

I decided to do something different and meet an online friend for Dutch pancakes and coffee. We got along well, laughed a lot and discussed very random topics that didn't link to each other. That's always a sign of good company.

I went to Cambridge twice this month and something sparked in my brain when I was there. I imagined a future I could associate myself with. Cambridge might be the place for decision making when times get tough. There is enough greenery to clear your mind. Enough history for inspiration. Enough space and air for clarity.

I've introduced myself to Virginia Woolf this month and I'm not sure where she has been so far. I read an essay she's written but it's definitely on my list to read more of her work. She made me think a lot about Women's contribution to fiction and I feel like I need to list down my favourite books one day and see how many of them are actually females.

This month I've appreciated the time I've spent alone more than ever before, always in the company of some kind of hot beverage (more often than not a cup or two of Americano) and a book. This month I've read:

  • Why I write by George Orwell
  • مهزلة العقل البشري لعلي الوردي
  • A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf
  • The Private Life of The Diary by Sally Bayley
  • The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
Marking the first month I don't pick up a fiction book to read. I actually don't mind it.


I'm grateful for the way July ended. Spending time with my best friend and reminiscing the 4 years we've spent in Leeds. We caught up with 7 months worth of gossip, news and updates. Today I've laughed till tears ran down my cheeks, had fun at Madam Tussauds and had the perfect dinner at Five Guys.

August is a month I've been looking forward to for a while now and it's finally here.

Let the fun begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment