Pages

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Book Review: Wonder by R. J. Palacio



I can't remember the last time I read a REALLY REALLY good book but that has changed today. Today was the day I found a great book, Wonder by R. J. Palacio! This book talks about a 10 year old child, Augustus Pullman, who has a craniofacial anomaly due to a genetic mutation. This brave child has never been to school until now, 5th grade. The book is divided into parts goes back and forth between Augustus and the other characters in the book.  Augustus talks about what he's going through and then different characters will tell their point of view as well. This book made me tear in a few parts sometimes feeling sorry for Augustus and other times it's just happy tears, an emotional read indeed! I really found Palacio's way of writing very accurate when talking through Augustus and his friends, she made sure it sounds like a 10 year old speaking.


Created this using Notegraphy

This book talks about struggle with outer appearance, the struggle of having a facially deformed brother, friendship , kindness, strength and bravery. It's hard enough to start a new school looking normal but it's much worse to start school when you're severely deformed that everyone does that thing where they stare thinking you're not noticing or not touching you like you have some kind of contagious disease.

If you don't know this, I'm a final year genetics student and I'm hoping to become a genetic counsellor for my future career. I think this book would be a great one to be used in counselling not just for patients but their family as well. This book is good for a 10 year old and an adult just as well. I would really love it if this got translated into Arabic because I'm sure many Arabs will learn a thing or two from it. I believe this book should be taught in schools, students will benefit a lot from it.

If you're looking for a book to read I would highly recommend this easy to read book!
Find me on goodreads



No comments:

Post a Comment