Pages

Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Oman?

Here in the UK it happens A LOT that I get asked where I'm from, I tell them I'm from Oman but they don't know where that is. So the easiest way to answer by telling them its next to Dubai or Saudi or Qatar since most people happen to know where those places are (it gets harder when they don't). Anyways, I don't blame people for not knowing where Oman is since we haven't contributed much to the world and haven't been in the news much UNTIL... 2011!

In 2011, a few things happened that helped Oman get into the international news. Here are 2 things:


  • One of the people I follow on twitter retweeted what another person said which I found very interesting



To those who might know Oman but not Al-Habsi: Ali Al Habsi is our national football/soccer team's goal keeper and he currently plays for Wigan. He's been so good that he was trending in Twitter.

Ali Al Habsi


  • Another thing we got know about is the newly opened Royal Opera House (ROH). I haven't got the chance to visit it as it opened while I was here and I haven't gone back home for the holiday. It has been built as requested by the Sultan as he's a big fan of operas. I'm not the perfect person to talk about such stuff but many Omani based bloggers have been talking about it much better than I do. In December, the ROH presented the Swan Lake and I have sadly missed it.



To those who have no idea what I'm talking about. Oman is in the middle east bordering Saudi Arabia, UAE and Yemen. 


I could've done better but I have to go back to studying


No comments:

Post a Comment